Flying with Kids - A Travel-Loving Family's Guide
As a travel-loving family, embarking on a new adventure often means bracing ourselves for that inevitable, and often dreaded, experience: flying with kids. But fear not. From the orangutan forests of Borneo to the skyscrapers of New York City, we’ve got you covered. Here are some practical tips on ensuring a smooth as possible air journey, sprinkled with amusing anecdotes to inspire, and sometimes astound, you.
Family Traveling Stories
The Johnson Family faced the stern tests of toddler tantrums while on a flight to Florida. Unfazed, they auctioned off their carefully packed iPad – a lifesaver that doubles as an entertainment unit and pacifying device. Pre-downloading their daughter's favorite shows on Netflix was their golden tip.
The Thompson clan traveled to Europe with a toddler and a baby. They discovered the power of snacks and found that a variety of healthy treats kept the children occupied while providing needed nutrition.
The Gabriels flying to Australia packed wisely. They filled backpacks with favorite toys, coloring books, and stickers and included a new surprise toy for the mid-flight meltdown.
The Sharma family took a transatlantic flight to India. Their top tip? Schedule flights to sync with your children's sleep schedule to ensure a peaceful journey.
Learning Points for Parents
- Pre-Download: Ensure you have your kid’s favorite shows, games, or movies for the flight. Netflix and Amazon Prime allow the shows to be downloaded for offline watching.
- Snack Wise: Pack a variety of healthy and favorite snacks to distract and nourish the kids.
- Activity Packed: Include coloring books, small toys, and stickers in their luggage. A new cheap toy can provide some relief if and when a meltdown occurs.
- Sleep Sync: Try to schedule flights according to your kid’s sleep timing. Red-eye flights can be helpful.
- Deep Breath: Accept that some things might go wrong. The best remedy is to laugh off these situations, they make for good stories afterwards!
The aim is to turn your in-flight dread into a smooth journey. If the Johnsons, Thompsons, Gabriels and Sharmas can soar through the skies with their kiddos with relative ease, so can you! Safe travels, everyone!